All Stories

Filter news

Barbara S. Taylor, MD

Barbara S. Taylor, MD

September 21, 2022

What brought you to UT Health San Antonio? When I came back to Texas in 2009, I was drawn by the many opportunities at UT Health and University Health, particularly in HIV care and research. My colleagues here are truly outstanding – leaders in their f …

Dr. Robert S. Hamilton, Jr., MD and family.

Long School of Medicine Alumnus Remembered for Pioneering Legacy

September 21, 2022

Robert S. Hamilton, Jr., MD, Long School of Medicine Class of 1975, established Emergicare in the 1980s, which are freestanding emergency rooms staffed by physicians. It was Dr. Hamilton’s passion to ensure these emergency rooms were accessible and aff …

Payal K. Patel, MD, MPH

2010 Graduate Recognized as Infectious Diseases Expert

September 21, 2022

While first attending the Joe R. and Teresa Lozano School of Medicine as a medical student and subsequently completing her internal medicine residency at UT Health San Antonio, Payal K. Patel, MD Class of 2010, MPH, found her passion for medicine in th …

Doctors

UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry lab leads with digital automation for patient care

September 20, 2022

SAN ANTONIO – A lab at the UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry is using leading computer-aided automation that includes a partnership with a major international digital prosthetics company to test cutting-edge milling equipment for making crowns …

Lark A. Ford, PhD, MA, MSN, RN

Lark A. Ford, PhD, MA, MSN, RN

August 12, 2021

What brought you to UT Health San Antonio? I joined the nursing faculty at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio in the fall of 2006, following my retirement in the rank of Colonel with over 33 years military service in the Unite …

Dr. Carolina Solis-Herrera

Carolina Solis-Herrera, MD, Class of 2017

August 11, 2021

What brought you to UT Health San Antonio? Since a young age, I had a persistent intrigue about science and an intrinsic yearning to have a positive impact on health. This compelled me to search for the opportunity to develop into a physician-scientist …

Kendra Patricia Mack-Semler, BSN

Kendra Patricia Mack-Semler, BSN, Class of 2021

August 11, 2021

Why did you choose nursing? I chose nursing because I really wanted to find something that brought together my two passions: caring for others and science. I feel that nursing truly is the bridge between compassion and knowledge, so it allows me to pra …

Natasha Bakunda, MSN, RN

Natasha Bakunda, MSN, RN, Class of 2020

August 11, 2021

Why did you choose UT Health San Antonio? I chose UT Health San Antonio initially because it was affordable, easy to attend, and had a great reputation as a state school. How did UT Health San Antonio help you? Getting a master’s degree at UT Health wa …

School of Nursing Alumni Council

A Message from Mrs. Tricia Garcia-Choudary, Alumni Council Chair

August 11, 2021

Dear fellow graduates, I am truly honored by the opportunity to serve as the chair of the School of Nursing Alumni Council. It is my pleasure, along with the Alumni Council members to represent you – the more than 12,000 strong nursing alumni of UT Hea …

The Doctors Carolyn R. and Gary L. Mueller

Health Care Couple Create Scholarship to Battle Nursing Faculty Shortage

August 11, 2021

Carolyn Regena Mueller, PhD, MSN Class of 1985, RN, and her husband, Gary Louis Mueller, MD, FACP, FACE, dedicated their lives to caring for patients – both civilians and military service members – and sharing their knowledge by teaching nursing and me …

Dr. Lark Ford with Student

Students Honor Professor with New Scholarship

August 11, 2021

When Kendra Mack-Semler, BSN Class of 2021, and her then fellow classmates heard that Lark A. Ford, PhD, MA, MSN, RN, associate professor/clinical, was talking about retiring from the School of Nursing at UT Health San Antonio, the students started dis …

LSOM

Long School of Medicine Earns Top 50 Ranking by U.S. News & World Report

July 2, 2021

For the first time in its history, the Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine at UT Health San Antonio was named a top 50 medical school in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Grad Schools for 2022. Read the full story in the newsroom.

Garrett S. Kneese, MD, MPH

Garrett S. Kneese, MD, MPH, Class of 2022

July 1, 2021

Why did you choose medicine? My mother has battled various autoimmune disorders for most of my life. When first diagnosed, she spent years working with her doctors to find a treatment regimen that balanced disease control while mitigating medication si …

Jessica F. Sandoval, MD

Jessica F. Sandoval, MD, Class of 2010

July 1, 2021

Why did you choose UT Health San Antonio? A large part of my journey into medicine stemmed from my strong belief that representation was important for improving patient outcomes. Subsequently, it was really important to me to attend a school in a city …

Sheena Marie Sagrado Caramba, DPT

Sheena Marie Sagrado Caramba, DPT, Class of 2020

July 1, 2021

What year did you graduate from UT Health San Antonio? What degree did you receive? I graduated with my Doctorate in Physical Therapy in the summer of 2020 during the height of the pandemic in a Zoom ceremony, which was something I definitely will neve …

Jonathan Thompson, DDS Class of 2023

Jonathan Thompson, DDS, Class of 2023

July 1, 2021

Jonathan Thompson, School of Dentistry Class of 2023, joined the Air Force after high school and was an industrial hygiene technician. Jonathan shadowed dentistry in the military and a community health care setting, and began to find his place in society.

The Sam and Ann Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies

Take a Virtual Tour of The Sam and Ann Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies

June 24, 2021

Enjoy a virtual tour of this impressive facility and learn about the important research carried out in these laboratories. Watch the video here.

Nursing Building

Doctor of Nursing Practice Program Listed Among the Best

June 24, 2021

UT Health San Antonio’s Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree is ranked 57th in the 2022 U.S. News & World Report rankings of Graduate Degrees in Nursing, released March 31. Read more on this story in our Newsroom.

Dentistry Students in Lab

School of Dentistry Class of 2021 Achieves 100% Licensing Pass Rate

June 24, 2021

The School of Dentistry celebrated its Class of 2021 as 100% of all dental and dental hygiene seniors passed the Western Regional Examining Board (WREB) this April. Read more on this story in our Newsroom.

Occupational therapist with child

Occupational Therapy Doctoral Program Gains Full Accreditation

June 24, 2021

The School of Health Professions’ occupational therapy doctoral program is the first accredited state-supported entry-level OTD program in Texas. The program received news of its full accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therap …

UT Health San Antonio Graduates

UT Health San Antonio Holds First All-School Commencement

June 24, 2021

For the first time in its 53-year history, UT Health San Antonio celebrated a combined, all-school commencement May 22 at the Alamodome. More than 1,000 students — 827 in May and 211 this summer — applied to graduate from the university. The graduates …

Long School of Medicine Alumni Council

A Message from Dr. Denise Woody-Gross, Alumni Council Chair

June 18, 2021

Dear fellow alumni, I hope this Alumni Report e-newsletter for the Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine finds you, your loved ones, and your patients doing well. It has been an honor for me to serve as the Alumni Council chair for the medic …

Joe R. & Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine

Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine named a top 50 medical school by U.S. News & World Report

June 17, 2021

SAN ANTONIO, April 1, 2021 — For the first time in its history, the Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio was named a top 50 medical school in U.S. News & World Report’s Bes …

UT Health San Antonio Multispecialty & Research Hospital

A cornerstone of research-based medicine

June 17, 2021

The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio broke ground and unveiled the cornerstone for the UT Health San Antonio Multispecialty and Research Hospital, a destination center for research and treatment of cancer and other complex disea …

Showing page: