5/15/20 | 5 p.m. | Updates from extramural sponsors, Office of Sponsored Programs
Over the past week, new information related to COVID-19 sponsored programs has been limited. However, we would like to provide you information regarding the following three (3) topics:
- U.S. House of Representatives votes on HEROES Act
- New Financial Fund Groups to track COVID-19 grant activities
- COVID-19 Funding Opportunities
U.S. House of Representatives votes on HEROES Act
Today, the U.S. House of Representatives is expected to pass the HEROES act. This is the fifth COVID-19 relief package that has been voted on. In this bill, the following items are related to research:
- National Institutes of Health – Provides $4.7 billion to NIAID ($500 million), NIMH ($200 million), and the Office of the Director ($4 billion) available through September 2024 to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, including $3 billion designated “for offsetting the costs related to reductions in lab productivity” as a result of the pandemic.
- Extension of funding – Allows for the extension of existing funding, including for multiyear awards, through September 30, 2021.
Please note that in order for this bill to become law, it still needs to be passed by the U.S. Senate. In the U.S. Senate, there is a lot of opposition. As such, it is uncertain if this bill will become law. OSP will continue to monitor the HEROES act process in order to assess our ability to apply for future potential funding opportunities.
New Financial Fund Groups to track COVID-19 grant activities
In order to properly track and record both awards and expenditures for all COVID-19 grants, the Office of Sponsored Programs has established new grant fund groups, where all new grants related to COVID-19 will be housed. A listing of all fund groups and the OSP post-award grant specialist assigned to each can be reviewed here. For those investigators that receive COVID-19 grants, please follow the allowable use of funds and all other guidance specific to the award. SP believes that COVID-19 grants will be scrutinized and highly audited in the same fashion as was done for the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) grants, several years ago.
COVID-19 Funding Opportunities (New and Supplemental Funds Available)
OSP continues monitoring and updating our list of available funding opportunities related to COVID-19, available at http://research.uthscsa.edu/osp/forms/covid19.xlsx. Since last week, we have added twelve (12) new COVID-19 funding opportunities.
Chris G. Green, CPA
Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP)