1/26/21 | Employee Return to Work Policy for COVID-19 Exposure and Infection
All UT Health San Antonio employees who have had a positive COVID-19 test will be required to have a physical examination by a Wellness 360 healthcare provider or their primary healthcare provider before returning to work. Written documentation of the visit will be required.
Employees must make an appointment through Wellness 360 at 210-567-2788.
Prior to making an appointment, employees must meet the following requirements:
- Employees ill with symptoms (of cough, fever, tiredness, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea) who have tested negative for COVID-19 must not return to work until they are fever free for 24 hours (temperature below 100.0 F or 37.7 C). They do not need clearance from Wellness 360.
- Employees ill with symptoms (of cough, fever, tiredness, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea) who have NOT been tested for COVID-19 may not return to work until fever free for 24 hours, symptoms have improved, and are 10 days out from onset of the first symptom. In other words we must assume the employee had COVID-19. Health provider clearance will be required if employee requests return to work before these criteria have been met.
Testing is an important COVID-19 control measure, but the best measure is to stay home if you are sick!
Positive COVID-19 Test (Mild symptomatic illness):
- At least 24 hours since resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications
- Symptoms (e.g. cough, shortness of breath) have improved
- At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared
Positive COVID-19 Test (Asymptomatic):
- At least 10 days have passed since the date of their first positive test and remained asymptomatic throughout the 10-day time period.
- If symptoms develop, the individual must follow the positive COVID-19 test (symptomatic requirements).
Positive COVID-19 Test (Severe to critical illness or severely immunocompromised*):
- At least 20 days have passed since symptoms first appeared
- At least 24 hours have passed since last fever without the use of fever-reducing medications
- Symptoms (e.g. cough, shortness of breath, etc.) have improved
*These are reviewed on a case by case basis as they are determined by the treating provider and tailored to each individual and situation
If an employee has completed the COVID-19 vaccination series, these policies are still applicable and are to be followed.