All laboratory equipment (centrifuges, freezers, refrigerators, etc.) must be cleared by Environmental Health and Safety prior to being moved, serviced, or repaired. Housekeeping and any other personnel, shall not move any equipment without safety clearance.
BEFORE SUBMITTING AN EQUIPMENT CLEARANCE REQUEST, PLEASE READ THE REQUIREMENTS BELOW:
- Make sure all Chemical, Biological, and Radiological elements have been removed from item to be cleared (including oil).
- Make sure all lab supplies (tubes, vials, etc.) have been removed from the unit.
- All items are to be cleaned or disinfected thoroughly and wiped down with 10% Bleach, 70% Ethanol, or another approved disinfectant (i.e. Bleach Rite).
- If the unit to be cleared is a refrigerator or freezer, the unit must be unplugged, defrosted, and wiped dry. DO NOT defrost freezers with Radioactive Material stickers without first obtaining Radiation Safety clearance. When defrosting, place absorbent materials (pads, paper towels) around the unit and monitor periodically to prevent water from collecting onto the floor. Additionally, all samples should be removed prior to unplugging refrigerators or freezers to reduce the generation of offensive odors.
- IF UNIT TO BE CLEARED IS A BIOSAFETY CABINET, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
If all requirements have been met, please proceed to the form below.