Resource Connection: Fun and Educational Resources to use While Stuck at Home
STAY INFORMED ABOUT COVID-19: MORE INFO
During these uncertain times, many teachers and their families will be cooped up indoors for extended periods of time. Whether you need FREE educational resources for your virtual classrooms or just fun and informative things to watch or read while on the couch, the below resources’ list (updated weekly) has you covered!
Virtual Book for Kids: COVID-19 Texas Biobook: Mom, what is COVID-19?
Our friends at Texas Biomedical Research Institute just released an awesome virtual book for kids called “COVID-19 Texas Biobook: Mom, what is COVID-19?”
Activities and Educational Games
- Innerbody explores the 11 bodily systems in depth
- Banzai teaches students real-world financial dilemmas and the importance of smart money management
- The Theta Music Trainer – Offers online music games and courses
- The Smithsonian Museum – Deep dive into ocean life
- Kids Think Design – Explores careers in fashion design, graphic design, interior design, book design, product design, film and theatre, architecture, animation, and environmental design.
- Weather Wiz Kids® – Meteorologist Crystal Wicker breaks down the fascinating world of weather
- Ask Dr. Universe – Answers question they may have about history, geography, plants, animals, technology, engineering, math, culture, and more.
- United States Mint – H.I.P. Pocket Change Kids Site
- KENS5 Weather Minds Classroom: Educational Lessons Covering a Variety of Weather Topics and Phenomenon
- Paper: Understanding the Human Immune Response to COVID-19
- Math and logic Activities
- Ducksters: Education Activities Covering all Subjects
- Math Chimp: Practice Fractions
- MobyMax: Find and fix Learning Gaps
- Alcumus: Free Art of Problem Solving’s Innovative Online Learning System!
- St. Mary’s Home Engineering Online Summer Camp
- Science Craft, Experiments, and Project Ideas
- Mindfulness in Quarantine – Dr. Bira demonstrates how to be mindful while eating so that we can focus on our senses for greater food satisfaction and increased overall wellbeing.
- Tons of Fun and Educational Online Games
- Alaskan Wildlife Live Cams
- Coding with Star Wars
- 50 Ways to Keep Your Kids Busy At-Home
- Free At-Home Engineering Activities
- Online Photographic Jigsaw Puzzles
- Free Preschool Age Activities
- Ice Cube Discovery Activity for Kids
- 100 Free Online Educational Resources
- Free printable K-8 Reading and Math Activities (English and Spanish)
- DreamScape – Reading Game for Grades 2-8
- Carmen San Diego – Lesson, Videos, and Stories
- Digital History Archive
- Daily Math Bedtime Routine
- Games to get “Into the Book”
- Daily Free Science or at Home Cooking Experiments.
- Dr. Lindsay Bira (video) – helps us practice building emotional wellness with mindfulness while explaining the science behind it.
- Digital learning content for preschool through high school.
- Project’s for Kids – Reading, Thinking and Growing.
- 35,000 pages of online content Covering Cultures Around the World. on the cultures and countries of the world.
- Fiveable – AP Student Resources
- Everyday Earth – Interactive video earth science-based Curriculum
- DreamBox – K-8 online math program
- Online Home School platform & curriculum for Pre-K to 12th grade
- Classes for Older Teens & Adults HOUR OF CODE TUTORIALS FROM Code.org
- Mindful Minutes – Weekly emotional wellness videos with Dr. Lindsay Bira
- Explorer Zone! – The Science Mill’s extensive online learning hub, featuring virtual field trips, hands-on science, STEM activities, and interactive games.
- Science Mill Online Explorer Zone
- JLabs’ Periodic Table of Elements Hangman Game
- Science, Math, & Social Studies
- Grammar Practice – Middle School Grades
- Free Daily Science & Cooking Experimenta to do at Home!
- Music Lab Experiments – Music is for Everyone!
- Mystery Science – K-5th Science Lessons
- Delta Math – A wide Range of Math Lessons (Middle – AP Calculus)
- YOUTH CODE JAM – Virtual Learning Hub with coding tutorials, activities, and resources
- SAISD Virtual Poetry Slam Celebrating National Poetry Month!
- Learn.Genetics – Grades 3-12
- Perot Museum’s weekly lessons – BILINGUAL LESSONS organized by age with hands-on activities and videos.
- Fun Hands-on Activities to do at home from the DoSeum!
- Simple sew-free Face Mask
- Your Classroom in the Cloud – CTE & Digital Age Learning Workshop Series
- ClickSchooling – Daily recommendations by email for entertaining websites that help your kids learn.
- Hands-on Elementary Science Videos
- Fun Games, Recipes, Crafts, & Activities
- Biology Simulations – helps students to learn about biology and practice data analysis skills.
- K-12 Educational Games
- CanFigureIt® Geometry – A teacher-created, unique way to teach and learn geometric proofs.
- SAISD Digital Playground
- CK-12 – Learn math & science in a whole new way
- Dial-A-Story – For over 20 years the children of San Antonio have been calling into Dial-A-Story at 210-207-4466. Stories updated weekly.
- Code.org Learning – Elementary Teachers & MS/HS Teachers Applications for summer 2020 (July 13-17, 2020)
- Vision Unit: Activities 1A and 4A
- Inflamm-o-wars: Activities 3A and 4B
- Scholastic Learn at Home (Grades 6th-9th)
- Cast Your Net: Activity 1A
- Free Must-Have Escape Room Lesson
- Fifty Environmental Activities Kids Can Do at Home
- All Ranger Rick resources are now available for FREE
- Witte Activity Book
- Indoor Activities for busy toddlers
- Switch Zoo – Play games and learn all about animals
- PBS Kids – Play with fave show characters and learn
- Math and Reading games
- Phonics skills
- 300,000+ FREE printable worksheets from toddlers to teens
- National Geographic Kids
- Math practice from counting to algebra and geometry
- Crafts, activities, & mazes
- High school chemistry topics
- Math and Reading Games
- Math and Language Games
- Litter Bug
- Scholastic Learn at Home (Grades 1-2)
- Butterfly Life Cycle (Pre-K–Kindergarten)
- Making Mountains: An Erosion Lesson (3rd–5th Grade)
- Voice-based learning: Learn through Alexa
Zoom Safety Info, Tips, & Hidden Features
- Zoom Safety Tips
- 13 Zoom video chat tips, tricks, and hidden features
- Zoom adds new security and privacy measures to prevent Zoombombing
- How to Prevent Zoom-Bombing
- ESC20 FREE Webinars for teachers and school staff on digital age learning/technology issues, flyer updated weekly, new sessions will be offered after Easter (including Zoom, Google Meet, interactivity tools).
- How Can You Assess the Science Your Children Are Doing and Learning? (Education Blog)
- Shifting to the NGSS: Professional Book Study for Elementary School Teachers Webinars (Registration fee required)
- Interactive ebooks+ are now Available for Free! (K-5)
- Must-Read on the NSTA Blog: Wordsmithing (Education Blog)
- Interactive ebooks+ are now Available for Free! (6-12)
- Equity in STEM Education: It’s All About Culture! (Education Blog)
- Interactive ebooks+ are now Available for Free! (6-12)
All Grade Levels
- NSTA Daily Do – How do we find patterns in the weather?
- Interactive ebooks+ are now Available for Free! (Professional Development)
- Join NSTA’s #LearningTogether initiative and share your ideas, tips, and strategies for teaching K-12 students online.
Free Virtual Tours
- Kenai Fjords National Park, Alaska
- The Alaska SeaLife Center is Offering free Livestreams of Sea Lions, Giant Octopus, and much more!
- List of Live Virtual Concerts to Watch During
- The Alamo – Remember the Alamo!
- San Antonio Museum of Art
- Yellowstone National Park
- National Zoo – Panda Cam
- The Great Wall of China
- Explore Mars with the Curiosity Rover!
- FarmFood 360 – 11 Virtual Tours of farms from minks, pigs, and cows, to apples and eggs
- Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery, Washington D.C.
- Museum of Modern Art, New York City
- American Museum of Natural History, New York City
- The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago
- High Museum of Art, Atlanta
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico
- The Louvre Museum
- The British Museum
- National Gallery of Art: Washington, D.C.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
Free Reading & Language Materials
- Printable board games, activities, and more for phonics and reading all using evidence-based methods.
- Dr. Seuss and Rap – Hear your fav Dr. Seuss books in a new way. So much FUN!
- Duolingo – Learn a new language!
- San Antonio Public Library Digital Collection
- Audible for Kids
- Reading Comprehension for Grades 3-12
- Actors Read Children’s Storybooks
- Read, play games, and hang out with Dr. Seuss
- Texas Biomed Researchers Race to Find Coronavirus Vaccine
- I suddenly have to move my face-to-face physics/astronomy course online! What should I do?
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
- ChoreMonster: make chores fun for kids!
- Brains On! Science podcast for kids
- Tumble | Science Podcast for Kids
- The Show About Science
- Aaron’s World – Kids Listen
- Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Science Friday
- Point of Discovery
- TXBioBytes from Texas Biomed
- People Behind the Science Podcast – Science Podcast
- Motion Math App – A fun way for kids to learn math while parents monitor their progress!
- Canabalt – Gaming app
- Chop Chop Ninja
- SkyView Free Android, iOS
- Mammals by Tinybop
- Wizard School!
- The Robot Factory by Tinybop
- DragonBox Algebra 5+
- DIY.org – Creative Challenges
- Crazy Gears
- Dinosaurs: The American Museum of Natural History Collection
COVID-19 Information Links
- Region 20 COVID-19 Support & Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Texas Health and Human Services
- Metropolitan Health District San Antonio
- America’s for Medical Progress
- Cases & Updates
- A full list of San Antonio schools offering free meals during coronavirus school cancellations