New Employee Benefits
Benefits are available to eligible employees who work at least 20 hours per week, with an appointment time of at least 4.5 months and are not currently insured by another state-sponsored medical plan.
Refer to the UT System Office of Employee Benefits for more information on the many benefits available or click on the Quick Links on the right to go directly to the specific type of benefit information you want.
First Day Coverage
On the first day of employment for all eligible full-time employees, your benefits include the following basic coverage package at no cost to you.
- UT Select Medical Plan – Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
- Prescription Drug Coverage – Express Scripts
- $50,000 Basic Group Life Insurance and $50,000 Basic Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
Contact your supervisor or the Office of Human Resources – Benefits at email@example.com.
Employees have 31 days from the date of hire to make their benefits elections.
- Employees transferring from a non-benefits eligible status to a benefits-eligible status also have 31 days from the change in status to complete benefits enrollment.
- If elections are not made within the 31-day initial period of eligibility, you will be required to wait until the next annual enrollment period or a qualified change of status event to make changes, including adding or dropping coverage.
- Enrolling in certain insurance coverage may require Evidence of Insurability (EOI) or dependent documentation.
How to Enroll in Benefits
Refer to the UT Benefits Enrollment Guide for Employees for information on the many benefits available. Login to My UT Benefits to enroll.
Dependent Eligibility Guidelines
You may enroll your eligible dependents for certain benefit coverages with supporting documentation (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate). Documentation must be provided within 31 days of your hire date. For details on eligible dependents and what documentation is required, refer to the Employee Benefits Handbook or access the Dependent Eligibility Guidelines.
Teacher Retirement System (TRS)
TRS is a defined benefit retirement plan governed by Internal Revenue Code Section 401(a). All eligible employees of The University of Texas System are automatically enrolled in TRS on their first day of employment. Employee and employer contributions go into a large trust fund that is managed by knowledgeable professionals. Retirement benefits are based on legislatively determined formulas. You are vested after five years of service with a right to a retirement benefit. Disability, death and survivor benefits are also available to TRS members.
See the TRS website for more information on this valuable benefit.
- New TRS Member Education Videos are here.
- Schedule Live Video Counseling Sessions with a TRS Counselor. Call 1-800-223-8778.
Optional Retirement Program (ORP)
Employees are informed of eligibility to participate in the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) at the time of initial employment. Eligibility is strictly determined by the job you perform and is not based on years of service or salary level. To be eligible to participate in ORP, an employee must: (1) initially be appointed on a full-time basis for four and one-half months or more; and (2) be appointed to a position otherwise eligible to participate in ORP. Employees who are eligible to participate in a Retirement Program who are not eligible to participate in ORP must participate in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS).
See the UT System ORP website for more information on this benefit.
The UTSaver TSA and UTSaver DCP are voluntary retirement programs to which you can make pre-tax and/or after-tax contributions. Voluntary contributions to these programs have become an increasingly important part of saving for retirement.
The UTSaver TSA and UTSaver DCP are designed to help you save more money on your own so that you have the income needed to last throughout your years in retirement. Consider making contributions and see the impact of how investing even a small amount can add up over the long-term.
UTRetirement Manager offers resources to help you plan for your financial future. It is a secure website where you can review your retirement savings and project how much you need to save for retirement. UTRetirement Manager is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Review and select from the list of UT System Financial Provider(s) below. You may select more than one provider for your program(s) participation.
- Log onto UTRetirement Manager using the last six digits of your Employee Number located on the bottom of your UT Health San Antonio ID card above the bar code. If you have issues logging in, access the Quick Reference Guide.
Once logged in access financial education articles on a range of topics about financial planning and use financial calculators to help you determine how much of your salary you may need to save for your future.
UT System Financial Providers
Contact a provider to set up a financial planning appointment.
- Christine Jasek, 512-800-2958, Christine.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shane Pfeffer email@example.com
- John (TJ) Dubeansky firstname.lastname@example.org
Lincoln Financial Group
- Charles Davenport, 512-705-7023, email@example.com
TIAA-CREF Financial Services
- Doug Johnson, 210-536-0331, firstname.lastname@example.org
VALIC Financial Advisors, Inc.
- Jayson Wagner, 281-299-7367, email@example.com
- Deborah Rau, 210-441-2024, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Renee Gibbs, 830-285-3392, email@example.com
- Benjamin Blakelock, 210-845-4139, Benjamin.firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’ve enrolled in new coverage or changed your existing coverage, you may receive new ID cards and/or a FLEX Debit Card (if enrolled in HCRA) within two weeks of your effective date. If you’ve lost your ID card, you can contact the plan administrators directly to request a replacement.
Go to Get an ID Card on the UT Benefits website for more details.
Employee Self Service is available to all UT Health San Antonio employees to:
- Review and update personal information
- View paychecks
- View or revise W-2 or W-4 tax forms
- Enroll or change direct deposit
See Employee Self Service instructions on how to view the top three items above. Use the direct deposit guide to enroll or change direct deposit.
UT Health San Antonio employees and retirees, and their dependents, receive discounts when they use UT providers or facilities with the UT SELECT medical plan.
- To schedule an appointment with our San Antonio UT Health Physicians, call 210-450-9090 or visit the San Antonio UT Health Network website for more information.
- To schedule an appointment with any of the other designated UT System Health institutions or UT Physicians visit the UT System UT Health Network website.