Workers’ Compensation Insurance

UT Health San Antonio is ranked third lowest among all health education institutions for injury cost per employee. Additionally, there was more than a $50,000 reduction in total benefit expenditures between FY 2005 and FY 2006 and a decrease in premium rates between FY 2006 and FY 2007.

The University of Texas System is self-insured and self-administered for workers’ compensation. No private insurance company is involved in processing, workers’ compensation claims. The workers’ compensation program is administered by the University of Texas System Office of Risk Management Workers’ Compensation Insurance.

The Environmental Health & Safety Department manages the workers’ compensation process by:

  • Conducting accident investigations and analysis to prevent future injuries.
  • Ensuring employee injuries are reported timely and within the guidelines of the law.
  • Coordinating quality medical care for injured employees.
  • Promoting early and safe return to work.
  • Providing effective customer service.
  • The Health Science Center is in compliance with the Workers’ Compensation statute and Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) rules.
  • Conducting training for departments and supervisors on worker’s compensation issues.

Employee Work-Related Injury

What should an employee do if injured on the job?

  1. Notify your supervisor immediately, no matter how minor the injury may seem.  Report all unsafe working conditions to your supervisor or the Environmental Health and Safety Department.
  1. If necessary, obtain medical attention.  You have freedom of choice as to which, hospital or pharmacy you may use.  Inform the medical provider that your injury is work-related.   Your department will provide you with a Notification of an On-The-Job Injury form to give to your medical provider.
  1. If you miss work due to an on the job injury, you must keep your supervisor informed of your work status by providing a Division of Workers’ Compensation Work Status Report (DWC 73) after each doctor visit.  The doctor’s office must provide the report to the injured employee.
  1. If you miss time from work, you must also complete the form Workers’ Compensation Leave of Absence to select the type of leave you wish to use.  The form is provided by your department.
  1. When your doctor releases you to return to work, you must report to work at the beginning of your next regularly scheduled shift.  The DWC 73 report from your doctor indicating a return to work date or any work-related limitations must be given to your supervisor before you may return.

For more information, contact the Workers’ Compensation Coordinator in the Environmental Health & Safety Department at 210-567-2955.

WCI Contact Information

Tanya Mazzucca
Interim Workers Compensation Program Coordinator
Environmental Health & Safety Department
210-567-2965 Fax